Friday 26 December 2008

Patience Is A Virtue

Well, Christmas turned out wonderfully. Two of my three uncles came (the third is in Ketchican with his wife and new baby), my Uncle Chris's wife, Brenda (really awesome lady), and their year old daughter, Josie, all met at my Grandma's house to exchange gifts and have dinner. I mentioned that we have been snowed in, and because of this we all had to walk up the snowy hill, like we really were going over the hill to grandma's house, and I got to carry the baby! The gifts were great, Josie has been sick but she was still really darn cute and in good spirits, and I'm just happy it all went off without any family fights ;)

My grandma and I, all couped up together, have not been in the highest spirits (especially with each other) and makes me keep realizing how big of a generation gap there is. I keep wanting to get along with her, spend quality time, but she keeps hurting my feelings. ha. I know, how could a little 79 year old woman who can't help but fart when she walks hurt my feelings? It's easy: be subtly judgement and critical. But I still love her and I know it is not intentional, it's just the way she survived as a woman since 1929. Crazy!

To help pass the massive amounts of time I have on my hands I have been cooking a lot. I find it soothing. Right now I am making Rice Pudding (it is simmering). I have made it once before (with modifications, of course) and it is really good. Here is the recipe:

RICE PUDDING

Ingredients:
3 cups water
1 cup soy milk (or skim milk)
1 cup brown rice
2-3 cinnamon sticks
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of nutmeg
2 apples, diced
ground cinnamon

Directions:
- in sauce pan bring water, milk, rice, cinnamon sticks and salt to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about an hour.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg. Blend over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and add apples.
- eat.

I love this recipe because it has whole grains, little sugar, a high water content, and it tastes so delish!! Try it!

Original Recipe
4 cups skim milk (no water). 1/4 cup brown sugar. 1/4 vanilla yogurt stirred in with fruit. 1 pear diced and added to the top of the rice pudding with 1 cup of apples.

2 comments:

Becca said...

haha, I love that your last direction is "eat." I always make too much rice around, so I'll definitely have to try this one. Would it work with jasmine or basmati, or is it best with brown?

Johanna said...

Oh, I am sure it would work with any! The batch we made yesterday is almost gone... ha.